6th – 10th June 2018, 10:00 AM @ various Venues
Wednesday 6 JuneThe festival kicks off at The Ferret, with two amazing events, both free to attend.
- Aziz Ibrahim – Asian blues, 7:00 PM
- J’s Jazz Jam, 9:00 PM
Thursday 7 June
Explore your love of jazz into the week with a talk and a jam-packed day of music.
- The future of live music conference, Mitchell & Kenyon Cinema, 9:50 AM
Free to attend, this talk will take place at UCLan’s Mitchell and Kenyon Cinema. The talk will feature Patrick Pulsinger.
- Graham Massey and the Toolshed Collective, UCLan Media Factory, 7:30 PM Toolshed started as an electronica club in Manchester’s Northern Quarter, with Graham Massey running the ‘house’ band. Twenty years later, the project continues the idea and sees a line up of sets including Afrodeutsche, Skeltr and Paddy Steer. This performance is £10 per ticket. For more details and to purchase tickets online visit Eventbrite – Toolshed Collective.
Friday 8 June
Greet the weekend with a day of Django entertainment, Jazz and Improv.
A Day of Django, The Ferret
Head to the city centre for a “Django” themed day:
- Django Djam,The Ferret, 2:00 PM and 11:30 PM (Free to attend)
- Lewis and Dav, The Ferret, 5:00 PM (Free to attend)
- Film: Django (2017), Darwin LT, 6:00 PM (Tickets are £10. To purchase tickets online visit Eventbrite – Django).
- Michael Joseph Harris and Daniel John Martin, The Ferret, 9:30 PM (Free to attend)
- Cold Bath Street, System 50/50 and Some Some Unicorn, The Continental, 7:30 PM. Settle for an evening of some truly special music. With Cold Bath Street being compared to Bowie, a marriage of genres from Some Some Unicorn and hardcore free-improvising from System 50/50, there’s plenty to entertain your ears. This performance is £3 entry on the door. For more details on this event visit The Continental – Cold Bath Street.
Saturday 9 June
Kick start your weekend with a jazz-packed programme at the Harris in the Discover Preston Room:
- Shades of Django, 12:00 PM
- Moody and Woof, 1:00 PM
- Aziz Ibrahim, 2:30 PM
- Continue the party outside with “Jazz in the City” on the Flag Market, outside the Harris, between 2:00 -4:00 PM.
For more details on The Harris and Flag Market performances see A Saturday at The Harris.
Other Saturday performances:
- 100 Murmurists, St Peter’s Arts Centre, 5:00 PM (Free to attend)
- Idle Moments: An Evening of Jazz, 53 Degrees, 7:00 PM (Tickets are £10. To purchase tickets online visit Eventbrite – Idle Moments).
- Brassic, The Ferret, 9:00 PM (Free to attend)
Sunday 10 June
See off a successful jazz-fuelled weekend with two performances to look forward to:
- Free Parking, The Ferret, 7pm
- Free Parking are Preston’s longest running jazz outfit. Settle in for an evening of candlelit classic and traditional jazz. This event is £3 on the doors.
Courtney Pine feat. Omar and J.Frisco , 53 Degrees, 7pm
A fitting finale, Courtney embodies the dramatic transformation of UK jazz over the past three decades. The performance features unique vocal and multi-instrumental talent from Omar and support from Leeds College of Music alumni, J.Frisco.
Tickets for this event are £20. To purchase tickets online visit Eventbrite – Courtney Pine Ft. Omar and J.Frisco.
Map addresses for Preston Jazz & Improv Festival:
- The Ferret, 55 Fylde Road, Preston, PR1 2XQ.
- Mitchell & Kenyon Cinema, UCLan, Corporation Street, PR1 2HE.
- UCLan Media Factory, Kirkham Street, Preston, PR1 2XY.
- The Harris, Market Square, Preston, PR1 2PP.
- Darwin LT, 2HE, Marsh Lane, Preston, PR1 8RT.
- The Continental, South Meadow Lane, Preston, PR1 8JP.
- St Peter’s Art Centre, 38 St Peter’s Square, Preston, PR1 7BX.
- 53 Degrees, Brook Street, Preston, PR1 7BQ.