Thursday 28th June 2018, 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM @ Black Cultural Archives, 1 Windrush Square, Brixton, London SW2 1EF
Where is your Afro? Is it standing tall or hidden low? Are you inspired or underwhelmed by the Natural Hair Movement? Perhaps you haven’t had an Afro since you were a child. How might you go about fitting your Afro into your life? Or perhaps your Afro is your life! This event will be a safe space to share your experience with a panel of industry experts. Come along, tap into their knowledge, advice and their stories of promoting the beauty of their natural hair in a society that often communicates the opposite.
Topics to be discuss on the night:
- Why is it never ‘just hair’ for Black women?
- Is the language we use to describe our hair having a positive or negative impact
- What are some tried and tested Afro hair care and transitioning practices?
- How is ‘Afrovisibility’ moving forward in 2018?
- Do Black people yet own the Afro hair care industry? Why/Why not?
- How might misogynoir impact our hair choices?
- What are the real hurdles of working/parenting/dating whilst natural and how do we overcome them?
- Doors: 7:00 PM
- Discussion: 7.30-9 PM
- Networking: 9 – 9.30 PM
Lekia Lée –