Saturday 7th July 2018, 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM @ City, University of London, University Building, Room B200, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
Cultural Compounds is a series of one day symposiums to explore how the cultural and the personal conditions of African diasporic society, relate to current practices and theories, our knowledge of the past and contribute to our aspirations for the future.
They will include keynote presentations, conversations, debates and performances to explore how the word ‘Black’ translates currently in various art and cultural forms and what the drivers are for these.
The day will 4 themes:
- Visual Art – Influences in the making of art and the materials we use
- Language – De -Colonising our tongue and our literature
- Performance – How are our performances interpreted by us and by the other
- Cultural Theory – Heritage, Gender, Class
- Zena Edwards (Performance Poet)
- Patrice Naiambana (Actor)
- Coco Mbassi (Singer)
- Larry Achiampong (visual artist)
- Hassan Aliyu (Visual artist)
- Alieu Bah (Visiting poet and youth activist from The Gambia)
- Bibi Bakare Yusef (Cassava Republic – publisher)
- Rasheda Ashanti Malcolm (Novelist and magazine publisher)
- Minna Salami ‘aka’ Ms Afropolitan (Cultural theorist)
- Louisa Uchum Egbunike (Lecturer in English at City University)
- Onyekachi Wambu (Director of A.F.F.O.R.D.)
- Carleen De Sözer (visual artist)
- Kwaku BBM / BMC
Check out their Twitter feed for the latest update.
Register and purchase your tickets from eventbrite