Friday 15th and Saturday 16th March 2019 @ SOAS University of London, Brunei Gallery, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
The 2019 Forum explores ‘Insecurity’ as a condition associated with Africa. A series of political failures, conflicts, famines and tensions between state and civil society, has proliferated the idea of Africa as a ‘Hopeless Continent’.
But what is insecurity, who defines it and how should it be explored? Human security is not solely dependent on the elimination of threats to national sovereignty, but also on the elimination of wider vulnerabilities prevalent across the continent: unemployment, human rights, healthcare, drought and food insecurity are equally important.
This conference that brings together prominent figures from the continent and the diaspora, to foster debate on issues surrounding African development.
With keynote speakers, and 3 themed panels comprising of Africa’s brightest thought-leaders, attendees will have unparalleled access to the largest group of experts outside Africa, enjoy an authentic African cuisine and engage in critical discussions over 1.5 days.
- Amina J. Mohammed – Deputy Secretary-General, United Nations
- Dr. Ibrahim Mayaki – CEO, New Partnership for African Developmen
THEME 1: DISRUPTING AFRICA
- Chibundu Onuzo – Published Author and Teaching Fellow, SOAS
- Awino Okech – Professor, SOAS
- Olutimehin Adegbeye – Writer and Activist
- Siyanda Mohutsiwa – Writer, Associate Professor and Social Media Influencer
- Wale Lawal – Oxford Scholar, Founder of The Republic
THEME 2: GROWING AFRICA
- Mushtaq Khan – Professor, SOAS and Director of Anti-Corruption Evidence
- Yinka Adegoke – Quartz Africa Editor
- Victor Murinde – Professor and Director, SOAS Centre for Global Finance
- Said El Hachimi – Counsellor, World Trade Organisation
THEME 3: DEFENDING AFRICA
- Stephen Chan – Author and Professor, SOAS
- Imad Mesdoua – Senior Consultant, Middle East and Africa, Control Risks
- Maryam Uwais – Special Advisor to the Nigerian President on Social Investments
TIMINGS and TICKETS:
Friday 15th, 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Saturday 16th, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Tickets: Students £20 and £25.
Professionals £15 – £40. Patron £100.