4th BME Early Career Researcher Conference 2020
- 4:30 pm
14 September 2020
Imperial College London | £0 - £4.48
Imperial College Road
Navigating the Academic Space
We know that climbing the research ladder at a university or another academic institution can sometimes feel intimidating; as if you’re trying to break into an archaic and exclusive world of excellence that just doesn’t recognise you. This feeling can be intensified if you are a researcher from a BME background as you are even less likely to see people who represent you within the academic community.
This conference offers you the opportunity to hear from BME researchers, from PhD student to Professor level (and beyond!) who share their experiences of how they have managed to navigate the academic space successfully so you can envision your own route to your place within the academic arena.
In addition to inspiring, encouraging and empowering accounts from BME academics, you will also get the chance to participate in workshops providing practical advice and support on everything from networking, grant writing, mentoring, coaching and sponsorship, to maintaining your mental health and wellbeing in academia.
This one-day workshop will help equip you with the tools to successfully navigate the academic space so you can stay in academia!
- Professor Iyiola Solanke, Professor of EU Law, University of Leeds and Founder of Black Female Professor Forum
- Marcia Wilson, Associate Dean of Health, Sport and Bioscience, University of East London
- Jason Arday, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Durham University
- Faith Uwadiae, Postdoctoral researcher in Immunology, The Crick Institute and creator of Wiki BME scientist Diversithon
- Danielle Tran, Associate Professor & Associate Dean of Academic Enhancement, University of the Arts London
- De-Shaine Murray, PhD student in Neurotechnology, Imperial College London
- Health and Wellbeing – Amberlee Green
- Mentoring, Coaching and Sponsorship – Coreene Archer
- Professional Development – Gabrielle Kerr-Gordon
- Grant Writing – Dr Candace Hassall (Wellcome Trust)
Other activities include:
- Expert Panelist Discussion with Question and Answer Session
- Lots of networking opportunities and the chance to be selected to attend a FREE Professional Development Day