Arts & Culture
FELABRATION: 2020 VIRTUAL EDITION
15 October 2020
Online | Free
The idea and concept of Felabration as an annual celebration of Fela’s music, life and times, originated from his eldest child Yeni who conceived it in 1998. With the exception of 1999, Felabration has taken place annually. Currently Felabration – organised by the Felabration Organising Committee – has grown into a mega week-long musical event in Nigeria which attracts thousands of visitors annually to the New Africa Shrine from all over the world.
This year’s theme of the event, which will be held virtually, is “Fight to Finish, Fight to Win.” Highlights of the celebration include: The Symposium, Dress Like Fela Challenge, Art Competition, Dance Competition, and 3 days of performances from October 15-17 featuring Femi Kuti, Seun Kuti, Wizkid, Bez, Niniola, and many more.
The festival will also be streamed live on HipTV, a 24-hour channel with a target audience from over 40 countries in Africa.
- Schools Debate – Felabration kicks off with our most anticipated Senior Secondary Schools Debate. Topic TBC
- Afrobics Dance Competition – This is a dance contest where contestants will compete by showcasing afrobeat dance moves with any song of their choice from the afrobeat icon’s extensive body of work
- Symposium – Felabration Symposium addresses timely questions, and as always we have highly regarded intellectuals from Africa to help us learn something new and what’s next in the our ever advancing world
- Artwork Competition – winning pieces will be exhibited at the Kalakuta Republic Museum, the New Afrika Shrine and other venues.
- Music Concert – Featuring: Femi, Seun, Wizkid, Bes, Niniola, Wurld, Joeboy, Falana, Antibalas, & many more
The symposium will be moderated by African affairs analyst Dr. Vincent Magombe. Other dignitaries expected to feature prominently at the festival include lawyer, author and activist Dele Farotimi, filmmaker Kwenu Mandela and mediecal doctor, activist and diplomat Arikana Chihombori Quao.
The online event commences on the 15th to 17th October 2020.
For the latest updates visit here