Panel Talks & Workshops
Megxit and Racism in Britain Today
- 8:00 pm
20 February 2020
Birkbeck, University of East London | FREE
Birkbeck Geography in collaboration with the Transatlantic Round-table on Religion and Race and Decolonising the Curriculum, invite you to a panel discussion on institutionalised racism in Britain in the wake of Meghan Markle’s recent exit from these shores.
Join us as four Black academics at the cutting edge of analysis on issues of race, gender, religion, culture and education, look beyond the superficial media debates to engage in a dialogue about the structural nature of racialised inequality in Britain and what the ‘Meghan effect’ tells us about its resurgence in 21st Century Britain.
- Chair Lurraine Jones, Senior Lecturer and Acting Head of Department for Social Sciences and Social Work at UEL- specialist in issues of race within diversity training, Black British Identities and intersectionality
- Dr William Ackah, Lecturer in Community and Voluntary Sector Studies, Birkbeck, University of London- specialist in issues of African diaspora religion and politics, race and urban policy.
- Professor Robert Beckford, Britain’s leading Black Theologian – specialist in issues of race, religion, culture and media
- Dr Gabriella Beckles-Raymond, Senior Lecturer, Womanist Philosopher- specialist in issues of critical race theory, intersectionality and ethics
- Rachel C. Boyle, Senior Lecturer in Children, Education and Communities Edge Hill University – specialist in issues of race, racism and ethnicity in education
This is a free event. Register your interest here