Arts & Culture
Online: African Gods and Goddesses – Nzingha Lecture 39
- 8:30 pm
22 April 2020
ONLINE | FREE
In this Queen Nzingha lecture, we detail some of the highly developed spiritual belief systems that existed in various advanced African civilisations prior to European invasion.
We will cover:
- Cultural appropriation of African god concepts by the Greeks and Romans
- Male and female god concepts; why is the modern Christian god always male?
- Matriarchal spiritual systems, beyond the Orishas
- The Catholic church and the process of sainthood: how real people become saints and legends
- Religion as suppression/liberation
- Ancient African civilisations
- Surviving African culture/spirituality in the Caribbean
This is an online talk via Zoom.
Your Zoom link will be sent to you after you register .
About the Nzingha lecture series:
Queen Nzinga was an African Queen who fought against the European invasion of southern Africa (Congo/Angola). The Queen Nzinga lecture series features African female academics / holders of expert knowledge, speaking on topics of their choice. The Nzinga lecture series will provide a regular platform for women of African descent to highlight important issues in an academic setting.