Arts & Culture
Online: Zombies and the Demonisation of African Spirituality
- 6:30 pm
17 April 2020
Zombies are popular in Western film and TV but their roots in Caribbean and African spirituality are routinely ignored.
In addition, the zombie itself is often used as a metaphor for current racial and political situations.
In this interactive presentation we will cover:
- Demonisation of African spirituality, how, why and by whom
- The Haitian revolution’s secret weapon
- African civilisation and spiritual systems pre European invasion
- Religion as suppression/liberation
- Political messages in horror movies and TV shows 1932 to 2020
- Night of the Living Dead to the Walking Dead
- Why does the black guy always have to die?
This is an online talk via Zoom.
Your Zoom link will be sent to you after you register
Dates & times
4:00 pm - 6:30 pm | 17 April 2020