15 Jan 2021
Join The Team: Student Editor Vacancy
At Meeting of Minds, our plan is to become the ‘Leading Exporter of African Narratives’.
In the last year, the company has evolved into a modern media agency – a cross platform brand celebrating and championing Black female voices. Our writers deliver intimate stories and critical commentary at the intersection of race and gender.
We are currently expanding our production output and are looking for a Student Editor to manage our new ‘Grad Zine’.
This will be a monthly multimedia newsletter, amplifying the voices of Black female and non-binary students and recent graduates.
Although production will be based in the UK, it will maintain a global perspective, in line with our other publications (Real Reads and Africa in Focus).
This will be a fixed term, part-time/freelance position (6 – 8 hours per week) with competitive remuneration.
- Work with the Commissioning Editor and Founder to coordinate a monthly digital publishing cycle
- Generate topic ideas, curate content and cultivate stories aligned to our target audience
- Author a minimum of one article per month
- Recruit, retain and build a high-quality pool of student writers
- Identify and work with other news sites, journalists and reporters to secure fresh, relevant and informative content
- Liaise with educational institutions to keep abreast of emerging academic developments
- A Black female or non-binary student who is currently completing or commencing a Masters from September 2021
- Excellent command of English, both oral and in writing
- Strong editorial background and proofreading skills
- Keeps abreast of current affairs and key issues impacting Black women
- Excellent networking and partnership brokerage skills
- Strong knowledge of other cultures and societies
- Creative, organised, with good time management
While there is no age limit, you must be in tertiary education to apply.
Preferred subjects of study include: humanities or social sciences, e.g. English Literature, History, Politics, Sociology, Journalism, Communications.
Send a CV (maximum two pages) and a cover letter (no more than 800 words) and a portfolio of your work to email@example.com by Monday 8th February 2021.
We will endeavour to respond to all shortlisted candidates by Monday 15th February 2021.